In 2 Nephi chapter 31 God the Father gives us a promise that if we do these these 5 steps that we will inherit eternal life, living forever with God and our families. These steps are first having faith in Jesus Christ, second repenting of the things we have done wrong in our lives, third being baptized by someone holding the priesthood authority of God, fourth receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, and fifth endure to the end.
1) Faith in Jesus Christ means believing in him and the power he has to forgive our sins. Follow the example he set and keep his commandments.
2) Repenting, change the way we live. Everyone of us is imperfect and can only begin to become perfect by aligning our lives whit that of Jesus Christ. Repentance is a process that probably won't happen over night, it takes time and effort, but we are promised forgiveness if we complete the steps. First we need acknowledge that we have done some thing wrong, second we need to be sorry for what we have done, third is to confess the sin to God, fourth is to correct the wrong we have done or make restitution, and last do not do it again. If we do this God has promised all of us forgiveness for everything we have done.
3) Baptism is the "gate" as Nephi calls it to the path which leads to eternal life. After we are baptised by some one holding the priesthood authority of God, which has been restored to this earth through the Prophet Joseph Smith, then they have entered the gate and begin their journey back home.
4) Receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost is the ability we are given to actually receive that comforter that is promised to us by Jesus Christ in the New Testament. The Holy Ghost will purify us and lead us through our lives and help us make the right choices.
5) Enduring to the end means to keep pushing forward. Even though Satan will do all he can to get you off that path, you can overcome his temptations and keep going. That is one of the greatest gifts of the Spirit (or Holy Ghost) to help you over come temptations.
And as it says in 2 Nephi 31:20 if you will do all this you shall have eternal life!
I know this is true and i know each one of us is capable of getting there.